Making the Rounds with Kate Dielentheis, MD

August 13, 2017  |  Department News

An interview with Dr. Dielentheis

Kate Dielentheis is an assistant professor in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology. She received her undergraduate education at the University of Wisconsin—Madison where she graduated with a B.A. in Medical Microbiology and Immunology and an emphasis in Spanish. She then went to medical school at the Medical College of Wisconsin. She completed her residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology at Northwestern-McGaw in Chicago, Illinois where she trained at both Prentice Women’s Hospital and John H. Stroger Hospital of Cook County which provided a broad diversity of experiences during her training.

Question: You enjoy seeing women throughout their span of life. Tell us a little more.

Dr. Dielentheis: One of the things that drew me to OBGYN as a career is the ability to take care of women in so many different situations. I see teenage patients and discuss with them options for contraception and safe sex. I am able to build relationships with them and educate them about their bodies so they can be empowered as they grow older. I take care of women as they start families and give birth. It is so rewarding to be a part of a family’s birth experience. As women grow older they need an OBGYN to help with issues like menopause, vaginal dryness and sexual health. These topics can be embarrassing for many women and having a trusting relationship where we can discuss these things is important. I love that every day I see a diverse group of women with a variety of different needs.

Question: What led you to this field?

Dr. Dielentheis: I grew up in a medical family- my father was an OBGYN and I believe that I was drawn to the same things about this specialty that he was- the ability to make relationships with patients that span a lifetime. I get to provide primary care, surgical care and obstetrical care which is unique to OBGYN.

Question: What do you like most about your work?

Dr. Dielentheis: One of my favorite things is working with the residents here at the Medical College. I’ve always really liked to teach and being able to work with them is an honor. They keep me up-to-date and force me to evaluate all of the decisions I’m making because they want a thorough explanation of why each decision is made. I am proud to be able to pass on the knowledge that I have so that they can go on to take excellent care of patients here in Wisconsin and throughout the country.

Question: You also just had your baby here at the Froedtert & Medical College Birth Center. Tell us about your experience being a physician but being on the patient side of things.

Dr. Dielentheis: I think it’s always hard to be a patient, even when you aren’t a physician yourself! I actually had a pregnancy complication that required that I have a cesarean section. My first baby was born vaginally so I wasn’t anticipating needing to have a cesarean section with my second child. This is a situation that is scary for most patients, including me. I felt so supported by the staff here and had a really good birth experience. My goal was always a healthy baby and I got that but also had excellent care the entire time. I think that having two children myself in very different clinical situations has given me some “street cred.” I can connect with patients about my experiences during vaginal birth and cesarean section. I completely understand how hard it is to be a patient, to feel out of control, and to wish for an empowering birth experience so I can identify with patients who have unexpected things happen during a delivery. I can also identify with any new mom who has to face the challenges of breastfeeding, lack of sleep when you have a new baby and how to navigate coming back to work.

Question: What do you do when you aren’t seeing patients?

Dr. Dielentheis: I have two small boys (two years old and six months old) so I spend most of my non-clinical time with them and my husband. I love photography and they are all un-willing subjects! My husband and I really like to eat good food so we both spend a good amount of our time cooking. Two kids plus my patients takes up 110% of my time!

Question: Just for fun — what are your favorite movies, books, music?

Dr. Dielentheis: I love a good mystery novel and have been making my way through the Maisie Dobbs series. For music, I’m currently listening to Ryan Adams’ cover album of 1989 on repeat.

Question: Tell us a unique/fun fact about yourself.

Dr. Dielentheis: I believe I’m personally keeping the Willy Wonka candy production in business- I have the taste of an 8 year old when it comes to candy and have a private stash of gummy bears, Gobstoppers and Runts in my desk.

Interested in making an appointment with her? Give us a call at (414) 805-4777

Medical College of Wisconsin,
Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology
9200 West Wisconsin Ave.,
Milwaukee, WI 53226-3522
Phone: (414) 805-6600
24-Hour Emergency Line: (414) 805-6700

Children's Hospital of Wisconsin

© 2012 - 2019, Medical College of Wisconsin, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology. | Home | Site Map | Contact Us

twitter facebook