Request for Letters of Intent (LOIs)
- IOM Women’s Health Research Brief Report, September 2010
- Letter of Intent due: February 13, 2015 at 5:00PM CST
- Invitations to Apply Sent to Select Invitees: February 20, 2015 at 5:00PM CST
- Final Application Due: March 20, 2015 at 5:00PM CST
- Oral Defense of Application by Select Applicants: May 20, 2:00-5:00PM CST
To generate extramural funding in women’s health from NIH, NSF or similar sources, involving MCW Obstetrics & Gynecology, following the completion of this grant funding.
The Women’s Health Research Program is a multi-disciplinary effort seeking to translate research findings into better clinical practices and outcomes. We share the IOM’s definition of women’s health: encompassing health conditions that are specific to women; are more common or more serious in women; have distinct causes or manifestations in women; have different outcomes or treatments in women; or have high morbidity or mortality in women (IOM Women’s Health Research Brief Report, September 2010). Successful proposals will address one or more of these categories of women’s health.
One or two peer-reviewed one-year projects will be funded, up to $50,000 each. Grantees may be considered for a second year of funding (up to an additional $50,000) that could be awarded based on progress, demonstrated need and fund availability at the end of year one.
Criteria for funding of any proposal include: 1) meeting the goals of women’s health; and 2) the potential for proposed studies, if successfully completed, to generate extramural funding from NIH, NSF, and/or similar sources.
- Principal investigators must be MCW faculty with or without current R01 support in women’s health.
- All applications must include an OBGYN faculty member in equal status on this grant, as either PI or co-investigator who will facilitate the development of the research project. Multiple principal investigator (multi-PI) option is preferred. However, PI and Co-investigator (Co-I) option qualifies as well.
- Any Principal Investigator may submit only one application in response to this RFP.
- No “indirect costs” may be charged for any WHRP funding.
- Use of WHRP funds to supplement other financial resources is permitted with clear justification. Matching funding and opportunities to leverage WHRP funds to obtain other sources of financial support are specifically encouraged.
- Interdisciplinary collaborations are highly encouraged.
- Investigators are encouraged to consult a statistician/biostatistician during proposal development. Please note that the Clinical and Translational Sciences Institute (CTSI) offers free biostatistics consulting services.
- Investigators are encouraged to submit IRB and/or IACUC applications in tandem with the WHRP invitation to submit through eBridge to the MCW Grants and Contacts Office, in order to minimize delays in initiating funded applications.
- Principal investigators will be expected to comply with reporting requirements as a condition of receipt of funds. Progress reports are required upon request while the project is being conducted, with a request for a no cost extension, at the end of grant award, or in the future to gather data on our primary objective: obtaining extramural funding. Instruction for progress report submission will be provided.
How to Apply
Letter of Intent
A letter of intent should be submitted electronically through the form found on this website by February 13, 2015 at 5:00pm CST. This stage does not require advanced approval through the MCW Grants and Contracts Office.
The LOI form collects the following information:
- Investigator Information – You must supply the following information for each PI and Co-Investigator:
- Email Address
- Biographical sketches of the PI and key personnel (limit 4 pages per individual). Follow the NIH biosketch format (parts A-D). Please complete the Word document template (PDF file contains additional instructions and an example). All biosketches will be attached to your LOI form.
Biosketch TemplateBiosketch Example
- Specific Aims should be a maximum of one page. Please see example. This will be attached to your LOI form.
Specific Aims Example
For questions regarding this application, please contact:
Medical College of Wisconsin
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
9200 W. Wisconsin Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53226
FAX: (414) 805-6622