Hibbard, Judith, MD
Judith U. Hibbard, M.D., a Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology, is a skilled Maternal Fetal Medicine specialist and researcher with extensive administrative experience. Trained at the University of Chicago for both her residency and fellowship, she continued as faculty there for 18 years before moving to UIC 9 years ago; she was recently recruited to the Medical College of Wisconsin to serve as Professor and Vice Chair of Obstetrics.
Dr. Hibbard is board certified in Obstetrics and Gynecology with subspecialty certification in Maternal Fetal Medicine. She is an expert in medical conditions in pregnancy such as cardiac and hypertensive disease, as well as prenatal diagnosis and ultrasound. She has served on the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology Obstetrics Practice Committee, was an Examiner for the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology for 14 years, as well as a reviewer for a number of journals.
She has been the Program Director for the Maternal Fetal Medicine Fellowship Program at both the University of Chicago (2000-2004) and the University of Illinois (2004-2013). She has functioned as the Co-Director of the UIC Perinatal Center since 2004, a state mandated quality system for perinatal morbidity and mortality. Most recently she has served as the Division Director of Maternal Fetal Medicine at UIC. She has acted as chair of the Chicago Department of Public Health Maternal-Child Health Advisory Committee to the mayor.
She was a co-PI for the NICHD Consortium on Safe Labor, a twelve-site collaboration to construct and utilize an electronic data base of over 220,000 deliveries to assess the normal and abnormal progress of labor. She continues to use the database to answer new questions regarding labor and its complications for both mother and fetus. Dr. Hibbard was also the PI at UIC for an investigation of Soluble fms-like tyrosine-1 (sFlt-1) and Placental Growth Factor (PIGF) levels as predictors of Preeclampsia with Ortho Clinical Diagnostics, Inc., a prospective longitudinal trial of pregnant women who are at high risk of developing preeclampsia, as well as serving on the steering committee for this 20-site project. Dr. Hibbard was also a co-investigator for NIH-NICHD National Children’s Study: Greater Chicago Study Center, a Chicago collaboration among Northwestern University, University of Chicago and University of Illinois at Chicago until the NICHD halted the study in the last year. She has a proven track record as a researcher and collaborator and continues to mentor fellows and facutly in clinical research pursuits.
She loves reading, classical music, traveling and eating frozen custard and chocolate.
Areas of Expertise
- Hypertension in pregnancy
- Cardiovascular disease in pregnancy
- Fetal disorders
- Prenatal diagnosis, amniocentesis, chorionic villus sampling
- Medical disorders in pregnancy
- Obstetric complications: preterm delivery, incompetent cervix, etc.
- Diplomate of National Board of Medical Examiners, 1983
- Diplomate of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1990; Re-certified 1999, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
- Diplomate of Subspecialty of Maternal-Fetal Medicine, 1991; Re-certified 1999, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
Patient Ages Seen
- Adult (18 + )
Education / Training
- Doctor of Medicine – Loyola University Stritch School of Medicine, Maywood, Illinois – 1979 – 1982
- Residency, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology – University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois – 1982 – 1986
- Fellowship, Maternal Fetal Medicine – Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology – University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois – 1986 – 1988
MCW Start Date
In the News
We are very excited to announce that the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology has been approved for a Maternal-Fetal Medicine Fellowship Program through the American… Read More ›